CLM is happy to receive applications from any prospective tenant. The company does not discriminate; subject to satisfactory references the CLM team would be delighted to welcome you to one of its properties. Examples of eligible CLM tenants include:
- Professional working tenants
- Tenants who work but receive ‘top-up’ housing benefit (such tenants may need a guarantor)
- Tenants who receive full housing benefit (such tenants will need a guarantor)
- Retired tenants
- Tenants who share properties with friends, extended family members, etc.
Pick a property
View the CLM website, one of the property portals or visit the CLM offices to discuss your needs and view the range of properties that CLM can offer. Once you find a property you would like to learn more about make a viewing appointment.
Request an application form
Once you have decided the property is for you, you will need to complete an application form. The form asks for:
- Information relating to you personally, including your date of birth and previous addresses over the last three years
- Whether your previous addresses were rentals or if you were living with family/friends
- Your annual income – we can take any benefits you receive into account
- Employment – what your role is, when you started, whether the role is permanent, a reference for confirmation, etc.
- Any other income you receive, such as a pension, trust fund, etc.
- Details of any children you have, including age
- Details of any pets you own
It is imperative that the application form is filled in as fully as possible and signed by all parties who are applying for a tenancy. If you have any problems filling in your application form, please feel free to bring all your information into the CLM offices and a member of the team will gladly help you fill it in.
Provide a guarantor, if necessary
If you receive full housing benefit you will need a guarantor. A guarantor is somebody (usually a close family member or a friend) who has a good income each year and is willing to sign a legal agreement to state they will pay the rent if you (the tenant) are unable to at any point. They also sign to say they will pay for any repairs should the property be left in poor condition. A guarantor agreement should not be taken lightly and all parties concerned should make sure they understand the agreement before signing.
Return the form and provide ID
Once the application form is completed and signed by prospective tenants (and guarantor if applicable) it should be returned to CLM along with evidence of any benefits and proof of identification in the form of a passport or driving licence. An application fee of £100 is payable, which covers two applicants. For each additional applicant there is an additional fee of £50. Application fees are NON-refundable; if your application is unsuccessful because of unsatisfactory references the fees will not be returned.
Sign the paperwork
CLM will process your application using a referencing system. References typically come back within 48 hours – they can take up to seven days, although this is unusual. If the references are satisfactory we will contact you to discuss a suitable day and time for you to come to the CLM offices to sign the paperwork associated with a new tenancy. When you come in to sign the paperwork you will need to bring:
- Your first month’s rent payment
- Your deposit*
- A moving-in fee of £60
*A landlord will occasionally specify a different deposit amount but general deposit amounts are:
1 bed property – £550
2 bed property – £650
3 bed property – £750
4 bed property – £850
Enjoy your new home!
CLM will run through the paperwork with you to make sure you fully understand your tenancy obligations. Once everything is signed CLM will hand over the key and you’ll be all set to move into your new home!
When you first arrive at your new home you must inspect it thoroughly and compare what you see against the inventory you will have been given. If there are any discrepancies mark your amendments on both copies of the inventory, sign each page at the bottom where marked and return one copy to us within seven days..